These heart-shaped cookies are a hit with kids, and are super easy to make; you can leave them as is or add a sprinkle of brightly coloured confectioner’s sugar.
1 cup of butter
1 cup of sugar
1 large egg
3 cups plain flour
2 tsps baking powder
2 tsps vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
2. Combine butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl and cream together with an electric mixer. Gradually add in the egg, vanilla, flour, baking powder and salt and mix until well combined. The dough should be moist yet not too sticky.
3. Using your hands, create small 5-6cm wide balls of dough and pop onto a pre-greased baking tray.
4. Using the flat bottom of a clean glass, gently press down on each ball to flatten. Take a butter knife and create a small V in the top of the circle, pulling outwards to create the top ‘V’ of the heart. Pinch the bottom half of the cookie dough into a V shape.
5. Press the back of a fork in a criss-cross pattern and pop the trays into the oven.
6. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden.
7. Serve as is, or garnish with sugar or sprinkles for extra sparkle.
Annette W- Seeing Me Project